Catholic Recipe: Sourdough Hot Cross Buns
Here's one for sourdough lovers! A sourdough fan myself, I particularly like this recipe because it gives a new twist to an old (Good Friday) tradition. —Kathy Cutler
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Combine 1 cup flour, milk, sourdough starter, sugar, salt, butter, vanilla, and yeast mixture in mixing bowl.
2. Add cherries, raisins, and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth — about 10 minutes.
3. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double — about 1 hour.
3. Punch down dough. Divide into 12 equal pieces. Shape into balls. Place on greased baking sheet.
5. Cover; let rise in warm place until double — about 30 minutes. Bake in a preheated oven (400°) for 15-20 minutes or until done.
6. Cool on wire rack. Make crosses on top of buns with Confectioners' Icing (see recipe).Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book, The by Kathy Cutler, Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1982