Catholic Recipe: Hot Cross Buns VI
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105-115°)
- 3 1/2- 4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup warm milk (105-115°)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 1/3 cup dark raisins
- Confectioners' Icing (see recipe)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Yield: 12 buns
- Prep Time: 2 1/2 hours
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
Often Made With
The Friday before Easter receives its name ironically, as being the opposite of good. One of the most ancient customs associated with this solemn holiday is that of eating hot cross buns. In my experiences these buns never fail to please - everyone loves a hot cross bun!
In this recipe, the buns are baked separately from one another.
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, melted butter, egg, and warm milk. Mix thoroughly.
3. Add salt, nutmeg, cloves, and yeast mixture. Mix thoroughly.
4. Knead in orange peel, raisins, and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead until smooth - about 10 minutes.
5. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double — about 1 hour.
6. Punch down dough. Shape into balls of equal size.
7. Place on greased baking sheet. Brush with melted butter. Cover; let rise in warm place until double — about 30-45 minutes.
8. Make glaze and brush on loaf. If desired, use scissors to cut a cross. Bake in a preheated 350° oven about 20-30 minutes or until done.
9. Cool on wire rack. Frost with Confectioners' Icing, making a cross on top of each bun. (For alternative ways of making cross, see note at end of the linked recipe for Hot Cross Buns I.)Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book, The by Kathy Cutler, Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1982
Recent Catholic CommentaryRenewal with God Behind Us: Man Determines All 23 hours agoIntroducing the Church Fathers July 27Straws in the Wind July 25
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysCopyright © 2014 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.