Catholic Recipe: Hot Cross Buns V
- 2 3/4-3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- Confectioners' Icing (see link)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Yield: 9 buns
- Prep Time: 2 1/2-3 hours
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
Often Made With
The Friday before Easter receives its name ironically, as being the opposite of good. One of the most ancient customs associated with this solemn holiday is that of eating hot cross buns. In my experience these buns never fail to please - everyone loves a hot cross bun!
In this recipe, the buns are baked in a pan and come out attached to one another (the more common way).
1. Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and yeast in mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
2. Heat milk and butter to hot (120-130° degrees). Add to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. Add egg, currants, candied fruit, and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
4. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth — about 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top.
5. Cover; let rise in warm place until double — about 1 hour.
6. Punch down dough. Shape into 9 balls. Place in greased 9 x 9-inch pan. Make glaze and brush on buns.
7. Cover; let rise until double - about 45 minutes.
8. Bake in a preheated 350° F oven about 25 minutes or until done. Cool on wire rack.
9. Make Confectioners' Icing. Drizzle icing from spoon over each bun (lengthwise and crosswise), forming crosses.
On Making Crosses There are several ways of making the cross on a hot cross bun.
1. Apply Confectioners' Icing on buns after baking.
2. With scissors, snip cross pattern on top of shaped buns before rising.
3. Apply flour-and-water paste cross after rising but before baking.
4. Make cross by using uncooked dough, and place on risen bun.
5. Make a cross on risen dough out of candied peel.Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book, The by Kathy Cutler, Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1982
Recent Catholic Commentary
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysIn Cuba, Pope emphasizes service to the vulnerable, praises thaw in US-Cuban relations CWN - September 21Pope challenges America in speech to US Congress CWN - September 24Copyright © 2015 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.