Catholic Recipe: Pancakes
Pancakes are a traditional dish for Mardi Gras.
1. Mix the egg and half the milk with the flour until smooth.
2. Whisk in the rest of the milk.
3. Heat a little oil in a small frying pan (just enough to grease the pan, not enough for the oil to run).
4. Pour a little mixture into the pan and tip the pan to allow the mixture to cover the bottom. When the top side is drying and the underside is turning a golden brown turn the pancake over. It should really be tossed but tossing pancakes takes a bit of practice!
5. Pancakes can be kept very soft and warm in a clean tea towel while the others are cooking. This mixture should make eight.
6. Traditionally they should be served rolled up with lemon juice and sugar.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990