the full range of opinions, from A to B
By Diogenes (articles ) | Aug 24, 2006
If you look at the Voice of the Faithful home page you'll see the standard disclaimers:
- We accept the teaching authority of the Catholic Church.
- We have taken no position on the many other issues that divide Catholics in 2002.
- We do not advocate the end of priestly celibacy, the exclusion of homosexuals from the priesthood, the ordination of women, or any of the other remedies that have been proposed across the spectrum of Catholic thought.
- We do not endorse any organizations or interest groups.
Then if you glance at the latest VOTF newsletter, you'll find a nice quote from dissident theologian Daniel Maguire, a notice of a new book by dissident theologian Charles Curran, and notices calling attention to the 10th anniversary of the Common Ground Initiative, a report on women in the Church, an argument for admitting divorced-and-remarried Catholics to Communion, another essay on women in the Church, and an America article by a CCD teacher whose daughter is a lesbian.
Notice, VOTF doesn't endorse any of these things. They just thought you'd be interested. So did I.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
- Posted by: Canismater - Aug. 25, 2006 6:31 AM ET USA
"My, what big eyes you have, Grandma." "That's so I can see all things, Little Red Riding Hood."
- Posted by: Italiana - Aug. 24, 2006 9:07 PM ET USA
Loyal Dissent sounds like Faithful Adulterer.
- Posted by: BostonBlackey - Aug. 24, 2006 7:35 PM ET USA
I hjave felt from the very beginning of VOTF that they were probably heretical in nature and seemed to be anti-clerical (not that's a bad thing these days). I know some very good Catholis people who belong to VOTF and point to the sexual abuse morass and endless denials as their reason for belonging. My conscience wil not allow me to join. Thank you Sr. Owen Marie SND.
- Posted by: Laity1 - Aug. 24, 2006 4:08 PM ET USA
Centurion: you must have forgot that unlike the rest of us here, these are "thinking" Catholics.
- Posted by: Coemgen - Aug. 24, 2006 2:53 PM ET USA
Here is Avery Cardinal Dulles response to the Ladislas Orsy article posted by Laity1. If you read the Orsy article you should read this response. http://www.americamagazine.org/gettext.cfm?textID=2335&articleTypeID=1&issueID=390
- Posted by: - Aug. 24, 2006 2:02 PM ET USA
If they accept the the teaching authority of the Catholic Church, why do they publish and speak contrary to that teaching on moral issues? Those men speak with forked tongue, Ranger.
- Posted by: Ignacio177 - Aug. 24, 2006 1:45 PM ET USA
St. Ignatius of Loyola tells us that among the tactics of the evil one is that of trying to keep his evil seductions secret.
- Posted by: - Aug. 24, 2006 1:31 PM ET USA
Thanks for the link Laity - Groups like this one are so agenda driven but always claim they arent. VOF has no presence here in Los Angeles - after all why campaign in a diocese you have already won.
- Posted by: Laity1 - Aug. 24, 2006 12:55 PM ET USA
Funny, but I didn't see Catholic World News on the links page. I did note that VOTF's advisor, Rev. Ladislas Orsy, S.J., is there to guide them on canon law and theological matters. For an insight to the thought-world of Fr. Orsy, and to see how he straightened-out poor Cardinal Avery Dulles, see: http://www.americamagazine.org/gettext.cfm?articleTypeID=1&textID=2237&issueID=385
- Posted by: - Aug. 24, 2006 11:52 AM ET USA
Translation: * We accept .. We are church. Pay no attention to those old guys in Rome. * We have taken no position ... We are the 'holy press' after all. * We do not advocate ... We present alternatives. * We do not endorse ... We provide a forum for
dissent... er discussion