A Vatican whodunnit
In Agatha Christie’s classic Murder on the Orient Express, the great detective Hercule Poirot faces an unusual challenge. There are too many suspects—too many people with obvious motives for committing the crime.
That’s how I feel about the news that Archbishop Charles Brown, the apostolic nuncio in Ireland, is being transferred to Albania.
This is not a subtle move. The Vatican is explaining that it’s just a routine rotation; every now and then papal diplomats are given new assignments. That would make sense, except that:
- Archbishop Brown is not a career diplomat. Pope Benedict sent him to Ireland, at a time of crisis for the faith, precisely because he trusted his orthodoxy.
- When nuncios are moved, they are usually sent to assignments of equal or greater importance. A switch from Ireland to Albania is an unmistakable demotion.
Who would have wanted Archbishop Brown removed from Dublin?
- The Irish government, which is working to end the constitutional ban on abortion? Check.
- The Irish bishops, who don’t want pressure to act like Catholic leaders? Check.
- Liberal Irish priests, for the same reason? Check.
- The lavender mafia, always? Check.
- The Secretariat of State, which resented having a non-diplomat appointed as nuncio? Check.
- Pope Francis himself, who’s busy removing all Ratzinger loyalists? Check.
Too many suspects.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: vjenkins78814 -
Mar. 18, 2017 4:59 PM ET USA
A total disaster!!
Posted by: Bernadette -
Mar. 18, 2017 3:07 PM ET USA
When I read this a few days ago in the Headlines, I knew something rotten was afoot. I pray that the meeting in a couple of weeks to determine how to go about removing the insanity in the Church will have some definite results and the process will begin before more harm is done.
Posted by: MatJohn -
Mar. 10, 2017 8:55 PM ET USA
Incisive analogy coupled with stinging accuracy.
Posted by: jackbene3651 -
Mar. 09, 2017 11:29 PM ET USA
As always our Pope Genseric has the final responsibility for this latest act of vandalism.