Bishop, exorcist praise new exorcism movie
January 28, 2011
The January 28 release of “The Rite,” a movie based upon the training of an exorcist, has attracted a spate of media coverage, with some articles informative and others condescending.
“This is an evangelizing movie,” said Father Gary Thomas, the Sacramento exorcist whose training formed the basis of the film. “The Church actually comes out looking pretty good.”
Bishop Thomas Paprocki of Springfield (Illinois), who led a seminar on exorcism for over four dozen bishops last November, says that the movie “can be a positive thing toward giving people a more balanced understanding of what exorcism is all about.”
- The Return of the Catholic Exorcism (The Atlantic)
- Movie review: 'The Rite' (Los Angeles Times)
- Why is Hollywood obsessed with Catholic exorcisms? (RNS)
- 'The Rite' is Riveting! It Opens a Window to a Seldom Seen World (Catholic Online)
- New film based on California exorcist (CWN, 11/3/10)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!