Hyundai pulls offensive World Cup TV ad
Catholic World News - June 15, 2010
Hyundai, the Korean auto manufacturer, has pulled a television advertisement that was being broadcast during World Cup soccer games, acknowledging that the ad had drawn angry protests from Catholic viewers.
Hyundai officials said that they were surprised by the protests against the ad, which showed soccer fans in a parody of the Mass. "Though unintentional, we now see it was insensitive," the company said in an announcement that the ad had been withdrawn.
Advertising officials from agencies not connected with Hyundai speculated that the ad had been deliberately provocative, but its sponsors had underestimated the strength of the reaction.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($27,707 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!