12 sainthood, beatification causes advance
March 04, 2016
In a March 3 audience with the prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, Pope Francis approved the publication of decrees that advance a dozen sainthood causes.
In approving separate decrees on miracles attributed to the intercession of Blessed Manuel González García (1877-1940) and Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity (1880-1906), the Pontiff has paved the way for their canonizations.
The former was bishop of Palencia, Spain, and founder of the Eucharistic Missionaries of Nazareth; the latter was a French Discalced Carmelite nun and spiritual writer.
Pope Francis also approved decrees on miracles attributed to two venerable servants of God, thus paving the way for their beatifications:
- Ven. Marie-Eugene of the Child Jesus (1894-1967), a French Carmelite priest who founded a secular institute, Our Lady of Life
- Ven. María Antonia de la Paz y Figueroa (1730-99), an Argentine nun who founded the Daughters of the Divine Savior
Finally, Pope Francis approved decrees on the heroic virtues of eight servants of God, who may now be honored with the title “venerable”:
- Archbishop Stephen Ferrando (1895-1978), an Italian Salesian who led the Diocese of Shillong, India
- Bishop Stanislas Henri Verjus (1860-92), priest of Missionaries of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Coadjutor Vicar Apostolic of New Guinea
- Father Giovanni Battista Quilici (1791-1844), an Italian priest who founded the Daughters of the Crucified
- Father Bernardo Mattio (1845-1914), an Italian parish priest
- Father Quirico Pignalberi (1891-1982), an Italian Conventual Franciscan friar
- Sister Teodora Campostrini (1788-1860), the Italian foundress of a religious community
- Countess Bianca Piccolomini Clementini (1875-1959), foundress of the Society of St. Angela Merici
- Sister María Nieves Sánchez Fernández (1900-78), a Piarist sister
- Promulgazione di Decreti della Congregazione delle Cause dei Santi, 04.03.2016 (Holy See Press Office)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!