Vatican decrees move 11 candidates closer to beatification
Catholic World News - April 03, 2009
The Congregation for the Causes of Saints has released a series of decrees, approved by Pope Benedict XVI, advancing candidates toward beatification. Archbishop Angelo Amato, the prefect of the congregation, released the decrees that testify to the authenticity of a miracle in one case, and lives of "heroic virtue" in 10 others.
The congregation certified a miracle attributed to the influence of Maria Pierina de Micheli (1890- 1945), an Italian religious who is now eligible for beatification. The other decrees attested to the "heroic virtue" of the following, who can now be cleared for beatification if a miracle is certified:
- Franz Joseph Rudigier (1811-1884), an Austrian bishop,
- Johannes Evangelist Wagner (1807- 1886), a German priest,
- Innocenzo (Giuseppe) da Caltagirone Marcinno (1589-1655), an Italian Capuchin friar,
- Teresa de la Cruz Candamo Alvarez Calderon (1875-1953), a Peruvian religious,
- Maria Ines-Teresa del Santisimo Sacramento (Manuela de Jesus), Arias Espinosa (1904-1981), a Mexican religious, Marie de la Ferre (1589/1590-1652), a French religious,
- Teresita del Nino Jesus (nee Felisa) Perez de Iriarte Casado, (1904-1954), a Spanish Dominican,
- Dulce (nee Maria Rita) Lopes Pontes (1914-1992), a Brazilian religious,
- Giacomo Gaglione (1896-1962), an Italian layman, and
- Benoite Rencurel (1647-1718), a French 3rd-order Dominican.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Spring Challenge Grant
Progress toward our Spring Challenge Grant goal ($15,674 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!