Australia: lawyer counters Cardinal Pell’s claim on abuse suit
Catholic World News - March 18, 2014
In testimony before a royal commission investigating sex-abuse complaints, a lawyer who represented Cardinal George Pell contradicted the prelate’s claim that he had not been involved in legal strategy in a famous case.
John Ellis, who had brought suit the Catholic Church for damages in connection with sexual abuse, lost his case when Australian courts ruled that the Church could not be sued. Cardinal Pell later met with Ellis and told him that he had not been involved in the decision to wage a protracted legal battle.
However Paul McCann, a lawyer who was representing the Sydney archdiocese, told the royal commission that he was confident Cardinal Pell had been directing the legal strategy. McCann said that he had met with the cardinal’s secretary to plant he case, but was convinced the secretary was relaying the cardinal’s instructions.
Ellis had reportedly indicated that he was willing to settle his legal case for $100,000. Cardinal Pell has said that he was never informed of that offer. The archdiocese eventually spent $1.5 million on the legal battle.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($27,907 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: jg23753479 -
Mar. 18, 2014 8:57 PM ET USA
It's hard to know what is more painful here, the Cardinal's disingenuous recounting of the legal battle, or the blunder that ended up costing Australian Catholics $1.4 million. Is there nothing that will tear this rot out of the Church once for all?