Dominican cardinal reported to Vatican about sex-abuse charges against papal nuncio
September 11, 2013
Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic has revealed that he reported to the Vatican about sex-abuse charges against the apostolic nuncio stationed there.
Archbishop Josef Wesolowski, who had been the apostolic nuncio in the Dominican Republic, was recalled to Rome in August. The Vatican press office announced that he had been “relieved of his duties” and was under investigation, without specifying the cause of that investigation.
Cardinal Lopez disclosed that he had heard accusations of sexual abuse by the Vatican representative. “I gathered some information and reported directly to the Pope,” he said. The cardinal said that he had no direct evidence to support the charges.
A prosecutor in the Dominican Republic has announced that several parents have come forward to make accusations against Archbishop Wesolowski. The prosecutor said that he is interviewing several alleged victims—all teenage boys from impoverished neighborhoods.
- Dominican Cardinal confirms reporting ousted envoy to the Vatican (Dominican Today)
- Parents accuse Vatican envoy of sex abuse (The Sun Daily)
- Papal nuncio in Dominican Republic removed after abuse charges (CWN, 9/4)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!