We'll receive a $25,000 grant if others match it by Pentecost. $24,070 to go. Your gift will be doubled!
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Catholic World News News Feature

Irish Mass attendance below 50% June 01, 2006

Not quite half of Ireland's adults attend Mass each week, according to a survey conducted by the state's RTE broadcast network.

The survey found that 13% of Irish people attend daily Mass, and another 35% go to Mass every Sunday. The total of 48% attending Mass at least weekly represents a sharp drop from 1990, when a survey put the figure at 81%. However, RTE reported that a steady decline in Mass attendance over the past 15 years appears to have leveled off.

The survey showed that 60% of respondents identified themselves are "religious," while only 3% said they were "convinced atheists." A majority of 58% opposed removing Christian symbols from public buildings, while 19% supported that idea.

Matching Campaign
Subscribe for free
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org
Shop Amazon

Recent Catholic Commentary

A silent scandal: Catholic schools promoting morally unacceptable vaccines 11 hours ago
A More Militant Church? 11 hours ago
How we'll know if the Vatican and the US hierarchy are serious about deposing negligent bishops 12 hours ago
Final take on the LCWR: A time to plant, a time to uproot 14 hours ago
With the LCWR, has the Vatican taken Gamaliel's advice? 18 hours ago

Top Catholic News

Most Important Stories of the Last 30 Days
Pope challenges world leaders' silence on persecution of Christians CWN - April 6
Pope outlines plans for the extraordinary jubilee of mercy CWN - April 13
Vatican completes doctrinal assessment of Leadership Conference of Women Religious CWN - April 16
Pope accepts resignation of Bishop Finn CWN - April 21