Catholic Recipe: Chicken Valdostana
An easy chicken dish, to serve with a side dish of pasts.
Preheat the oven to 400° F.
1. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken breasts. Wash them and pat them dry with paper towels.
2. Put the flour on a sheet of wax paper. Dip each chicken piece in the beaten egg, let the excess drip off, then coat on both sides with flour. Put the butter and oil in a large skillet over moderate heat. When sizzling, add the chicken; cook for 3 minutes, turn, and cook another 3 minutes.
3. Transfer the chicken to a baking dish just large enough to hold the pieces comfortably. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Mix the ham, tomato paste, marjoram, and wine in a small bowl.
5. Place a slice of fontina cheese on each piece of chicken, then top with the ham-tomato mixture.
6. Gently pour the hot broth onto the bottom of the pan (not over the chicken). Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
7. Bake 15 minutes on the middle rack of the oven.Recipe Source: Festa: Recipes and Recollections of Italian Holidays by Helen Barolini, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers, New York, 1988