Catholic Recipe: Royal Icing
If you like lemon icing, use this recipe to top your Christmas Cake.
1. Put egg whites into a bowl and beat lightly with an electric mixer or a wooden spoon.
2. Add the sifted sugar gradually, beating it in well.
3. Add sufficient sugar to make a mixture that will hold its shape when spread.
4. Beat in the lemon juice and glycerine if used.
5. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to stand for one hour.
6. Cover the top and sides of the cake as required.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990