Catholic Recipe: Hazelnut Macaroons
Also Called: Haselnussmakronen
In the places where St. Nicholas calls there is always a large tray of assorted biscuits (cookies) ready for him and any other visitors that might call during the Advent season.
1. Whisk egg whites until stiff.
2. Add the sugar and continue whisking until the mixture stands in stiff peaks.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and fold in gently.
4. Drop teaspoonfuls of mixture on to a greased baking tray at least 1 inch apart. Allow to stand.
5. Bake in oven at 300° for 1/2 hour. Carefully transfer to a cooling tray and store in an airtight container. They will keep for several weeks.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990