Catholic Activity: Timely Hints for the Family's Lenten Observance
Here are some practical suggestions that family members can incorporate into the Lenten season.
- Practice mortifications. Foregoing family desserts occasionally might be one.
- Refrain from using the television set on stated days and give the radio a rest.
- Avoid public entertainment; family entertainment is an interesting diversion.
- Make family life more pleasant by: Mother, not being irritable; Father, not speaking harshly; Children, being helpful and obeying punctually.
- Attend weekday Holy Mass whenever this is possible.
- Have family Lenten devotion if attending those in your parish church is impossible.
- Set up stations in the home; pictures will do. Bear in mind, however, that the station-indulgence cannot be gained in this manner.
- During Holy Week remove all ornaments from the mantel piece and have only a crucifix there.
- Have a silent Good Friday.
- On Holy Saturday attend Mass as a family group to begin the Easter celebration.
- Decorate colored eggs with symbols of the Resurrection.
- After the Easter morning Holy Mass have a festive breakfast.
- Conduct an egg hunt during the course of the morning.
- Make sure the smaller children are told the Resurrection story.
Activity Source: Our Christian Home by Rev. Joseph A. Fischer, Seraphic Press, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1954
Recent Catholic Commentary
The Complexities of Persecution 1 hours ago
Notre Dame has lost two contrasting giants 3 hours ago
Two good publishers, six new books for Lent February 26
Another awkward 'clarification' from the Vatican February 25
Top Catholic News
Most Important Stories of the Last 30 Days
Pope Francis to address Congress in joint session in September CWN - February 5