The Insights eNewsletter
Insights provides critical perspective on the issues that affect your life as a Catholic today. Delivered twice weekly.
This Insights eNewsletter was sent to subscribers on February 4, 2014.
eNewsletter Subject: A Crisis of Sexuality
It does not take a rocket scientist to realize that the crisis of the contemporary world is a crisis of sexuality, including deep conflicts over its meaning and its proper ends. Consider these news stories over the past two days:
- New Orleans archdiocese vows to boycott firms that build Planned Parenthood abortion clinic
- Nigerian prelate defends anti-homosexual laws against foreign criticism
- Feminist demonstrators assault Madrid's cardinal
- Nancy Pelosi to receive Planned Parenthood's top award
- Proposed Oregon ballot initiative would protect those who object to same-sex marriage
- London mayor to be investigated for ban on ad critical of homosexuality
The list goes on, around the world. A more serious story is the report by the German bishops that Most German Catholics reject Catholic teaching on marriage, sexuality. One understands that the bishops feel the need to wrestle with this, but one does rather fear that they jump to changing the Church's rules instead of offering more effective witness to the Faith.
Pope Francis seems to take a different tack. As I mentioned recently, he used the occasion of his meeting with the trustees of the University of Notre Dame to insist that they Offer Unambiguous Testimony to the Moral Teaching of the Church....
[more content for subscribers]