Massacre in Ivory Coast; Church facilities destroyed
CWN - April 04, 2011
Caritas Internationalis, the consortium of Catholic relief and development agencies, has condemned the massacre of an estimated 1,000 people in Duékoué, a city in western Côte d'Ivoire.
“Caritas does not know who was responsible for the killing, but says a proper investigation must take place to establish the truth," according to a press statement.
“Caritas condemns all attacks on civilians and says the humanitarian situation in Cote D'Ivoire is rapidly deteriorating.”
The local bishop, Bishop Gaspard Béby Gnéba of Man, told the Fides news agency that Church facilities had been looted and destroyed.
Violence has afflicted the nation since President Laurent Gbagbo refused to recognize Alassane Ouattara’s victory in the November presidential election.
17% of the nation’s 20.8 million people are Catholic, according to Vatican statistics.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach five million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our final 2013 goal ($28,189 to go, assuming receipt of matching funds):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!