Diocese settles with attorney who claims repressed abuse memory for 50 years
Catholic World News - August 26, 2010
The Diocese of Lansing has paid a $225,000 settlement to a man who claimed he was abused in 1954 or 1955 by the priest who founded a children’s home. The priest died in 1983; no other abuse allegations have been made against him.
The alleged victim, an attorney, says that he repressed his memory of the abuse until 18 months ago, at which point he suffered a breakdown. According to his attorney, the alleged victim is no longer able to practice law.
In the settlement, the diocese denied the allegation. “Even if we get an allegation that we can't substantiate, we continue to support those who claim they have been abused,” said a diocesan spokesman. “If that support includes assistance in getting counseling, we'll do that.” The alleged victim’s attorney countered that the diocese would not have settled if the allegation had not been credible.
Earlier this week, Bishop Earl Boyea revealed that a different priest of the diocese had abused at least six boys; the bishop said he believed the allegations because the victims’ stories were similar, even though they had not been in contact with one another.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our September expenses ($33,685 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!