Wisconsin priest charged with possession of child pornography
July 26, 2010
Father Pat Umberger, a priest of the Diocese of La Crosse who serves as diocese chaplain of the Knights of Columbus and at one time served as diocesan webmaster, has been suspended from ministry after being charged with the possession of child pornography. Investigators found three graphic images on his computer.
Father Umberger, who is also a spiritual director to high school seminarians, told investigators that he is attracted to adolescent males and “admitted having anonymous sex with adult men and women,” according to a local newspaper report.
In 2009, the staff at Noah's Ark Water Park had suspended Father Umberger’s season pass after he reportedly followed boys into a bathroom. Father Umberger told police and diocesan officials, who were informed of the incident, that he had to urinate frequently because of a prostate condition.
- Child porn case rocks St. Pat’s (Onalaska Courier-Life)
- A test of faith: Some at St. Patrick's question whether diocese did enough (La Crosse Tribune)
- Suspended La Crosse priest ejected from waterpark in '09 (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- Diocese of La Crosse Statement
- About Father Pat (Father Pat’s Place)
- Holy Cross Seminary House of Formation (Diocese of La Crosse)
- State and Diocesan Directory (Knights of Columbus)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!