We'll receive a $25,000 grant if others match it by Pentecost. $24,070 to go. Your gift will be doubled!
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Don't jump at new government funding, Church urges English Catholic schools

Catholic World News - June 18, 2010

The Catholic Education Service in England is advising administrators of Catholic schools that they should resist the government’s campaign to reorganize themselves as “academy” schools with public funding. The Catholic Education Service reminded the Catholic-school chiefs that although the government currently supplied 90% of their funding, the remaining 10% gives them a measure of independence. The government’s new plans for “academy” schools leave many questions about independence unanswered, the Service noted in a letter to 2,000 schools.

The funding opportunities may initially seem attractive to schools but remember there is, as yet, little precise detail on this and the payment of our 10% to capital costs at present buys our sector a degree of valuable independence along the lines of "he who pays the piper calls the tune.”

Additional sources for this story
Some links will take you to other sites, in a new window.

An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:

Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!

Our Spring Challenge Grant
Progress toward our Spring Challenge Grant goal ($24,070 to go):
$25,400.00 $1,330.00
95% 5%
Sound Off! CatholicCulture.org supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

There are no comments yet for this item.

Matching Campaign
Subscribe for free
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org
Shop Amazon

Recent Catholic Commentary

A silent scandal: Catholic schools promoting morally unacceptable vaccines 4 hours ago
A More Militant Church? 5 hours ago
How we'll know if the Vatican and the US hierarchy are serious about deposing negligent bishops 5 hours ago
Final take on the LCWR: A time to plant, a time to uproot 8 hours ago
With the LCWR, has the Vatican taken Gamaliel's advice? 11 hours ago

Top Catholic News

Most Important Stories of the Last 30 Days
Pope challenges world leaders' silence on persecution of Christians CWN - April 6
Pope outlines plans for the extraordinary jubilee of mercy CWN - April 13
Vatican completes doctrinal assessment of Leadership Conference of Women Religious CWN - April 16
Pope accepts resignation of Bishop Finn CWN - April 21