Former Munich vicar general denies he was pressured to cover for Pope
Catholic World News - April 21, 2010
The former vicar general of the Munich archdiocese has denied published reports that he was pressured to assume sole responsibility for giving a parish assignment to an accused pedophile priest during the tenure of then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger as archbishop. Responding to a report in Spiegel magazine, Msgr. Gerhard Gruber repeated that he had made the parish assignment without consulting the future Pontiff.
Msgr. Gruber said that the Spiegel report, alleging that he had been pressed to take the brunt of the criticism for the assignment of "Father H," said that the magazine evidently drew on a letter from friends who had "with the best intentions" misinterpreted his remarks during a telephone conversation about the incident. The German cleric, who is now retired, said that he was not pressured by the Vatican or the Munich archdiocese to protect the Pope.
(Msgr. Gruber made his latest remarks to Suddeutsche Zeitung. An English translation is available on the What Does the Prayer Really Say blog.)
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our August expenses ($22,618 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!