Canonization plans for 6 new saints, including Bl. Mary Mackillop, Bl. Andre Bessette
Catholic World News - February 12, 2010
The Vatican has announced that an ordinary consistory will be held on February 19 to approve plans for the canonization of six new saints, including Blessed Andre Bessette and Blessed Mary MacKillop. An ordinary consistory is a meeting of all the cardinals who are in Rome at the time, at which the Holy Father presides.
In December, Pope Benedict XVI approved decrees testifying to the authenticity of miracles attributed to six candidates for canonization. The February 19 session will be asked to approve plans for their canonization ceremonies. The six new saints will be:
- Blessed Stanislaus Soltys (Kazimierczyk) (1433-89), a Polish religious whose liturgical cult was formally recognized by Pope John Paul in 1993;
- Blessed André Bessette (1845-1937), a Canadian Holy Cross brother who reputation for sanctity and for miracles drew countless thousands of people to the Oratory of St. Joseph in Montreal;
- Blessed Mary MacKillop (1842-1909), who founded the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart and will become Australia’s first canonized saint;
- Blessed Giulia Salzano (1846-1929), foundress of the Congregation of the Catechetical Sisters of the Sacred Heart;
- Blessed Camilla Battista da Varano (1458-1524), an Italian Poor Clare nun; and
- Blessed Candida Maria de Jesus Cipitria y Barriola (1845-1912)., the Spanish founder of the congregation of the Daughters of Jesus.M
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($52,302 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: raymondfrice9926 -
Feb. 13, 2010 12:49 AM ET USA
Hooray for Brother Andre!! Another doorkeeper, like Solanus Casey, shows how a tough job well done can lead you to heaven!!
Posted by: TheJournalist64 -
Feb. 12, 2010 7:18 PM ET USA
We were very uplifted during our visit many years ago to the St. Joseph Oratory. The number of what we call "milagritos" there was a testimony to the power of God and the intercession of the saints.