California Catholic college’s scholarship named after Planned Parenthood director
February 04, 2010
A Catholic college in California has named its Vanessa Bedient and Molly Reidelberger Scholarship for Excellence in Poetry after a Planned Parenthood director and a longtime Planned Parenthood volunteer. Mrs. Bedient “served as the director of Planned Parenthood in Santa Barbara, where her two children were raised, and later in San Francisco,” according to the web site of St. Mary’s College of California. “She loved literature and the arts, and was the soul of goodness.” Ms. Reidelberger, in turn, “volunteered at Planned Parenthood for 15 years.”
According to the college’s web site, Dr. Shawny Anderson, the college’s Associate Dean for Liberal Arts, received an award in 1992 “for continuing social and political service for the completion of the ‘Choice’ project to benefit Planned Parenthood.” She was responsible for “Choice, a 2-song ‘cassingle’ (one song on each side of a short cassette tape), produced as a fund-raiser for the Tecumseh Area Planned Parenthood Association.”
In addition, Planned Parenthood is included on two of the college’s job web sites.
Founded by the Brothers of the Christian Schools in 1863, St. Mary’s College of California has 3,840 students, 2,621 of them undergraduates.
- M.F.A. in Creative Writing Fellowships and Internships (St. Mary’s College of California)
- Job Websites for Students & Alumni (St. Mary’s College of California)
- Kalmanovitz School of Education: Student Job Websites (St. Mary’s College of California)
- Shawny Anderson: Scholarship (St. Mary’s College of California)
- Shawny Anderson: Service (St. Mary’s College of California)
- Planned Parenthood touted as career option at Indiana Catholic college (CWN, 2/3)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!