No news on priest kidnapped in Syria for 2nd time
January 04, 2016
The head of the Franciscan Custody of the Holy Land reports that there has been no news about a priest who was kidnapped in Yakubiya, Syria.
Father Dhiya Aziz had been captured by Islamic militants in July 2015, but escaped. He was seized once again on December 23. Father Pierbattista Pizzaballa, the Franciscan Custos, said that he knows where Father Aziz has been taken-- to "an area of heavy fighting"-- but does not know who is responsible for the abduction. "We realize that someone took him," he said, "but we cannot say who did it or even if he is still alive."
- Custos of the Holy Land: No contact about Fr Aziz, a Franciscan abducted just before Christmas (AsiaNews)
- Franciscan priest abducted again in Syria (CWN, 12/31)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!