CDF reaches negative judgment on Medjugorje, Italian journalists report
June 25, 2015
The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) has reached a negative conclusion regarding the authenticity of the reported Marian apparitions at Medjugorje, according to Italian media reports.
The CDF reportedly held a feria quarta meeting on June 24, at which the prelates discussed the findings of a special papal commission that had investigated the Medjugorje phenomenon. According to several Italian journalists—notably Vatican-watcher Gianluca Barile—the CDF agreed with that commission’s finding that there is no evidence of supernatural activity at Medjugorje.
The CDF’s conclusions will now be presented to Pope Francis, who will make the final judgment on the subject. If the reports are accurate, and the Pope confirms a negative verdict regarding the Medjugorje phenomenon, that decision will have a heavy impact on thousands of Catholics who have developed a special devotion to the site.
The CDF, according to the Italian media reports, has essentially supported the judgment rendered in 1991 by the bishops of what was then Yugoslavia. The CDF will reportedly recommend that pastors should not sponsor or support events that presume the reality of the visions claimed by the Medjugorje “seers.”
However, the CDF will reportedly urge recognition of Medjugorje as a special “place of prayer,” in light of the numerous reports of intense spiritual experiences enjoyed by visitors there. Pilgrimages to Medjugorje will not be forbidden, provided that they do not center on the alleged apparitions.
Earlier this month, Pope Francis told journalists that the Vatican is “close to coming to a decision” regarding Medjugorje. He said that he was awaiting a report from the CDF, and “then the results will be communicated."
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: ElizabethD -
Jun. 25, 2015 11:54 PM ET USA
I have been warning for years that the Church is not going to approve Medjugorje, and asking adherents (including a priest I know who once hosted an Ivan Dragicevic event at his parish) if they will trust the Church about this. These various friends of mine say that although they think Medjugorje would be vindicated, they will obey the Church's decision even if not. I suspect that the majority will be like that. But the danger will be real to some others' faith and even ecclesial commmunion.
Posted by: Ave Maria -
Jun. 25, 2015 10:15 PM ET USA
So the Franciscans who oversee all the Medjugorje events & the 6 children (now adults) were all part of an elaborate hoax that still continues? I find that hard to believe...I'm sorry. The youngest was 9 when the BVM began appearing to him...just find it hard to believe that such young children would take it upon themselves to devise & perpetuate such a scheme that would dupe everyone for so many decades. I hope the CDF makes the report/findings available to all to understand how this is false.
Posted by: speranza -
Jun. 25, 2015 9:53 PM ET USA
Radio Maria tweeted that this report is false, we will have to wait to see who is correct, https://twitter.com/RadioMariaITA
Posted by: nbeck -
Jun. 25, 2015 5:59 PM ET USA
Assuming this comes to pass, perhaps lessons can be drawn from the LC fallout of a few years ago. I suspect the core problem will be the same: How to cope with a crisis of faith cause by the fact that the indivudual(s) who caused one to seek God--Fr. Maciel or supposed seers--is a fraud. Will those most attached to the Medjugorje 'apparitions' be able to accept that their experience, while very much the prompting of the Holy Spirit, had nothing to do with supernatural apparitions?