Archbishop Nienstedt says predecessor assured him sex-abuse complaints were resolved
Catholic World News - August 01, 2014
Having rejected calls for his resignation, Archbishop John Nienstedt of St. Paul-Minneapolis has said that he made a mistake in assuming that his predecessor had dealt properly with sex-abuse allegations against archdiocesan priests.
Archbishop Nienstedt told an interviewer that when he arrived in Minnesota, he was assured by his predecessor, Archbishop Harry Flynn, and by the vicar general, Father Kevin McDonough, that sex-abuse problems had been resolved. He said that he accepted their assurances because of their “national reputations for being experts in this area.” (Archbishop Flynn had chaired the US bishops’ committee on sexual abuse.) "But I think that I know now I could have asked more probing questions,” Archbishop Nienstedt said.
The archbishop said that he had made other errors in his judgments on when accusations should be disclosed to the public. But he insisted that he had never deliberately misled the faithful. He said that the archdiocese now has plans and policies in place to deal effectively with abuse complaints.
"I hope people place their trust in us because I think we deserve it,” the archbishop said.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our July expenses ($33,493 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!