Action Alert!
Catholic World News

Vatican confirms suspension of ordinations in troubled Paraguay diocese

July 30, 2014

The Vatican has confirmed that all priestly ordinations have been suspended in the Diocese of Ciudad del Este, Paraguay, after a Vatican investigation of the diocese.

Father Federico Lombardi, the director of the Vatican press office, told reporters that Cardinal Santos Abril y Castello, who headed the Vatican investigation, was reporting his findings to Pope Francis. The Vatican spokesman said:

I can confirm that in the course of the visitation, Cardinal Santos Abril y Castell├│ cautioned Bishop Livieres against proceeding with further priestly ordinations. No other provisions were announced.

The Vatican investigation came after complaints that arose when it was revealed that Father Carlos Urrutigoity, who had been accused of sexual abuse while serving in the US, was acting as vicar general of the Ciudad del Este diocese. Father Urrutigoity was removed from that post shortly before the investigation formally began. However, he remains an active priest in the Paraguayan diocese, where officials note that the accusations against him have never been proven.


Sound Off! supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

There are no comments yet for this item.