New charges of lax handling of abuse complaints in Minnesota archdiocese
Catholic World News - July 16, 2014
In a lengthy and detailed affidavit, a former official of the St. Paul-Minneapolis archdiocese has testified that Church leaders took a “cavalier attitude” toward sex-abuse policies.
Jennifer Haselberger, who has become an outspoken critic of the archdiocese since resigning her post as a canonical official last year, detailed her complaints in a 107-page document. She said that archdiocesan officials failed to monitor priests who had been accused of abuse, tilted heavily toward the accused priests in investigating complaints, and told her not to “look under rocks” in her own investigations.
Haselberger said that most priests of the archdiocese had not been given background checks, and priests accused of abuse were placed in administrative posts, in violation of the US bishops’ guidelines. Archbishop Harry Flynn, who headed the St. Paul archdiocese until his retirement in 2008, was the chairman of the US bishops’ committee responsible for implementing those guidelines.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our September expenses ($20,491 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: Minnesota Mary -
Jul. 16, 2014 7:17 PM ET USA
Unfortunately, former Archbishop Harry Flynn is retired and has passed the buck onto Archbishop Nienstedt. It was Flynn's apparatchiks who cultivated a culture of deceit in the Archdiocese of St. Paul/Minneapolis. Archbishop Nienstedt will be driven from office by the very people who served Flynn.