Obama taps pro-abortion Catholic for key Cabinet post
March 02, 2009
President Barack Obama has named Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius--a Catholic who has aggressively promoted legal abortion-- to head the federal Deparment of Health and Human Services. Her selection stirred immediate protests from pro-life leaders, who vowed to fight the nomination. Last year Archbishop Joseph Naumann of Kansas City said that Governor Kathleen Sebelius should not receive Communion because of her support for legal abortion. The archbishop revealed that he had spoken to Sebelius "several times over many months to discuss with her the grave spiritual and moral consequences of her public actions;" he said that her support for unrestricted abortion sent a "spiritually lethal message" to the public. Obama chose Sebelius after another pro-abortion Catholic, former Senator Tom Daschle, withdrew from consideration for the same post because of revelations that he had failed to pay income taxes.
- Obama to tap Kan. Gov. Sebelius as health chief (AP)
- Choice of Sebelius likely to renew abortion debate (USA Today)
- Abortion foes vow to fight a Sebelius nomination (AP)
- Pro-Abortion Catholics United Starts Organization to Defend Health Pick Sebelius (LifeNews)
- Kansas: archbishop bars governor from Communion (CWN, May 9, 2008)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!