20 Catholic colleges in US invite pro-abortion commencement speakers
May 07, 2014
At least 20 American Catholic colleges and universities have invited commencement speakers who promote legal abortion and same-sex marriage, reports the Cardinal Newman Society (CNS). “These colleges are still trapped in the dissent and political correctness of the prior half-century, while the rest of Catholic education is making difficult but genuine progress toward strengthening Catholic identity,” said CNS President Patrick Reilly.
Among the Catholic institutions mentioned in the CNS report are:
- Boston College, which has invited Secretary of State John Kerry, who was a consistent proponent of legal abortion and same-sex marriage during his years in the US Senate;
- Holy Cross, which invited Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy, also an advocate of legal abortion and same-sex marriage;
- Loyola University in Chicago, which invited White House speechwriter Jon Favreau, who has compared defense of traditional marriage to enforcement of Jim Crow laws; and
- Villanova, which invited Jill Biden, wife of Vice President Joe Biden, who once identified herself a member of "that generation of women who fought for Roe v. Wade.
- A Decade after Bishops’ Policy, Catholic Commencement Scandals Make Sudden Return (Cardinal Newman Society)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: -
May. 07, 2014 7:23 PM ET USA
Ironic, is it not, that the Society of Jesus was once considered subversive by monarchs and heads of state the world over, loyal only to Rome (and God), the Pope's storm troopers! Its vestige is a caricature of every modernist and relativist conceit, thoroughly politicized by Marxist utopianism and populated by ordained homosexuals, it's a bastion of dissent against and resistance to the Magisterium and Christ's Vicar (now a Jesuit himself!). St Ignatius, defender of the Faith, pray for them!
Posted by: unum -
May. 07, 2014 6:54 PM ET USA
Is it any wonder that the faithful and the public don't have a clear understanding of the teachings of the Church. When Catholic bishops who don't care about the instruction of the faithful are responsible for disciplining universities that claim to be "Catholic" yet advocate values contrary to Church "teaching", then those bishops are responsible for misleading the faithful and the public. The present management of the U.S. Church is not competent!
Posted by: normnuke -
May. 07, 2014 3:26 PM ET USA
The short list above seems to consist entirely of Jesuit universities. The faculty senate of Santa Clara recently voted by about 74% (as I remember) to demand that Fr. President (Michael Engh, S.J.) reverse his refusal to provide abortion insurance to faculty and staff. The board of trustees backed his decision. What in the world has become of the Society of Jesus?