Cardinal Pell apologizes to abuse victim
Catholic World News - March 27, 2014
Completing his testimony before an Australian royal commission investigating sex-abuse complaints, Cardinal George Pell offered a personal apology to the victim in a landmark case.
The cardinal said that in the case of John Ellis, whose lawsuit against the Sydney archdiocese was dismissed in 2007, “we failed in many ways.” The cardinal had earlier testified that he was not aware of Ellis’ willingness to settle the case for a relatively small payment, and did not order lawyers to argue that the case should be dismissed on procedural grounds.
“As the then-archbishop, I have to take ultimate responsibility, and this I do,” Cardinal Pell said. “I want publicly to say sorry to him for the hurt caused him by the mistakes made.”
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our April expenses ($26,663 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: nix898049 -
Mar. 29, 2014 6:50 PM ET USA
I've been an admirer of Cardinal Pell but his use of the passive voice in his apology is disappointing.
Posted by: Defender -
Mar. 28, 2014 3:40 PM ET USA
Is there any (arch-)diocese that hasn't had a sex-abuse case? Shouldn't this be a requirement to hold a higher office/position?