Cardinal Dolan anticipates more negative publicity
Catholic World News - February 24, 2014
Cardinal Timothy Dolan has warned the faithful of his New York archdiocese that he may be hit by some negative publicity soon.
In a letter issued last week, the cardinal said that the St. Louis archdiocese, where he once served as an auxiliary bishop, has complied with a court order to release documents about the handling of sex-abuse cases. When the documents become public, the cardinal said, “I would anticipate that my name will again be highlighted in the press.”
“I sure have nothing to hide, and am very much at peace with law enforcements officials reviewing the files,” Cardinal Dolan said. He explained that he was giving advance notice because he expected “a repeat of last year’s attempt by the same tort lawyers to muddy my name”—a reference to the criticism he encountered when documents were released by the Milwaukee archdiocese, where he was stationed before his appointment to New York.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our February expenses ($32,217 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!