Action Alert!
Catholic World News

Nigerian archbishop: Boko Haram massacres continue, government not protecting citizens

February 17, 2014

The president of the Nigerian Catholic bishops’ conference told the Fides news service that he is unfortunately not surprised by a new massacre committed by Boko Haram terrorists.

"The lastest massacre in northern Nigeria does not surprise me anymore, because Boko Haram follows a regular pattern, aimed at terrorizing the population," said Archbishop Ignatius Ayau Kaigama of Jos. At least 100 civilians were killed in the village of Izghe, in one of the northern Nigerian states were the government is battling the terrorist group.

“Unfortunately, the authorities have so far failed to fulfill their task of ensuring peace and security to Nigerians in every area of the country," the archbishop said. He urged authorities to “get to the bottom of the problem,” identifying the foreign sources of support for the Boko Haram activists.


Sound Off! supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

There are no comments yet for this item.