Action Alert!
Catholic World News

Vatican envoy, Dominican prosecutor discuss charges against former apostolic nuncio

February 11, 2014

The Vatican’s new representative in the Dominican Republic met on February 10 with the justice minister of that country, and the two issued a joint statement emphasizing the importance of finding the truth about sex-abuse charged lodged against the former apostolic nuncio.

Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski was recalled to Rome last year after reports that he had molested young men. The archbishop now faces criminal charges both in the Dominican Republic and in his native Poland.

Archbishop Jude Thaddeus Okolo, who replaced Archbishop Wesolowski in the Dominican Republic, said that the Vatican is committed to learning the truth about the charges against his predecessor, while protecting any victims. He said that Vatican officials will remain in close contact with law-enforcement officials in the Dominican Republic about the case.

Francisco Dominguez, the justice minister of the Dominican Republic, has reported that his investigation found evidence of serious criminal activity by the former nuncio and another priest.

The Vatican has promised to cooperate with Dominican prosecutors, and has indicated that Archbishop Wesolowski could be subject to a criminal trial by a Vatican tribunal.


Sound Off! supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

There are no comments yet for this item.