Action Alert!
Catholic World News

Scottish archbishop: disgraced cardinal will not return

November 25, 2013

The new Archbishop of Edinburgh, Scotland, has told reporters that he does not expect further Vatican action against his predecessor, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, who resigned in disgrace earlier this year.

Cardinal O'Brien stepped down in February after admitting to sexual misconduct. The Vatican subsequently announced that the Scottish prelate was spending some time abroad, and later his successor, Archbishop Leo Cushley, said that the cardinal should not return to Scotland.

However, Archbishop Cushley said that he did not expect the Vatican to take additional disciplinary steps against the cardinal. “They will monitor the situation,” he said, and perhaps take action if new evidence emerges.

On the other hand, Archbishop Cushley indicated that Cardinal O’Brien would not return to Scotland. “Nothing is a lifetime sentence,” he said, “but it is a reasonable assumption that he will not be coming back in the near future.”


Sound Off! supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

Show 1 Comments? (Hidden)Hide Comments
  • Posted by: shrink - Nov. 25, 2013 3:16 PM ET USA

    Perhaps this is the legacy of Pope Benedict, who decided to lower the boom on the perverts such as Cdl O'Brien. One hopes Pope Francis will continue. But why is it that Rembrant Weakland and his kind still get to roam the cities of Wisconsin in search of .... whatever, when his crimes were certainly on par with those of O'Brien? Where is the justice for O'Brien when his confreres in sodomy walk scot-free?