Dominican prosecutor: strong evidence of abuse by apostolic nuncio
Catholic World News - September 23, 2013
A prosecutor in the Dominican Republic says that he has clear evidence that the apostolic nuncio there, Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski, was guilty of sexual abuse of minors.
Archbishop Wesolowski was recalled to Rome in August, after Church leaders in the Dominican Republic informed Pope Francis that they had uncovered evidence of sexual abuse by the papal representative. The evidence was also turned over to civil authorities.
Bolivar Sanchez, the chief prosecutor in the case, reports that Church officials have cooperated fully with his investigation. The Vatican has also promised full cooperation.
The justice ministry in the Dominican Republic also announced the arrest of a Franciscan who reportedly testified that he had procured a young victim for Archbishop Wesolowski, and said that he had been the nuncio’s sexual partner as well.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our September expenses ($14,637 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!