‘State of the Bible in 2013’
Catholic World News - September 02, 2013
The American Bible Society has published its annual survey on the “state of the Bible” in the United States.
The survey took note of respondents’ religious affiliations and defined “practicing Catholics” as Catholics who attend services at least monthly.
The survey found that:
- 88% of Americans, and 98% of practicing Catholics, own a Bible
- young adults (age 18-28) are more interested than older adults in what the Bible has to say about romance, sexuality, parenting, family conflicts, and other topics
- 47% of Americans, and 21% of practicing Catholics, believe that “the Bible, Koran and the Book of Mormon are all different expressions of the same truths”
- 56%% of Americans, and 67% of practicing Catholics, believe that the Bible has too little influence on society
- 39% of Americans, and 50% of practicing Catholics, read the Bible at least weekly
- 52% of Americans, and 33% of practicing Catholics, read the King James Version or New King James Version most frequently
- 42% of Americans, and 33% of practicing Catholics, can name the first five books of the Bible
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our September expenses ($33,416 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: shrink -
Sep. 02, 2013 6:48 PM ET USA
A purely personal preference from a cradle Catholic who usually reads the DouayR.: The King James Psalms are without peer.
Posted by: mario.f.leblanc5598 -
Sep. 02, 2013 10:22 AM ET USA
Four, if you include the Psalm, five if you include the Lord's Prayer, etc. The response about the Bible, Book of Mormon, and Koran is somewhat depressing. We need more people to read and ponder websites like Catholic Culture!
Posted by: scunoology -
Sep. 02, 2013 6:31 AM ET USA
If you are a practicing Catholic, 100% read the bible weekly. We have three scripture readings at Sunday Mass!