Challenge Grant: Our Boosters will match donations up to $45,000. We have $36,749 to go. Please donate!
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Australian prosecutors will not pursue abuse complaint by Anglican prelate against Catholic priest

Catholic World News - June 06, 2013

Australian prosecutors have found insufficient evidence to bring charges against a priest who was charged with sexual assault by the former leader of the Traditional Anglican Communion (TAC).

Anglican Archbishop John Hepworth, who led the conservative TAC until he was ousted in an acrimonious policy dispute last year, had caused a sensation in Australia earlier by reporting that he was the victim of sexual assaults in the 1960s, when he was a Catholic seminarian. The Anglican prelate said that 3 Catholic priests had molested him. Archbishop Hepworth said that he was dismayed the Adelaide archdiocese did not take effective action in response to his complaint.

Archbishop Hepworth did not make public the names of the priests who he accused of assault. But an Australian legislator, Nick Xenophon, identified the sole survivor among those accused: Msgr. Ian Dempsey, a former vicar general of the archdiocese. After an independent inquiry, the archdiocese found that Hepworth’s complaints against Msgr. Dempsey were unwarranted. Public prosecutors have now added their conclusion that no charges should be brought.

Msgr. Dempsey welcomed the announcement, saying he had waited for years to have his name cleared. Senator Xenophon, however, was not chastened by the news. “I believe the only apology due here is by the Adelaide archdiocese of the Catholic Church, for the way it abysmally dealt with Archbishop Hepworth’s allegations,” he said. He added that he was not troubled by any damage done to Msgr. Dempsey’s reputation since the priest “is still working, he still has his job with the Church.”

Prior to his very public dispute with the Adelaide archdiocese over the abuse charges, Archbishop Hepworth had been an important figure in negotiations between conservative Anglicans and the Vatican that eventually led to the establishment of Anglican ordinariates within the Catholic Church. Although hundreds of Anglicans have entered the Catholic Church by that route, Hepworth has not done so.

Additional sources for this story
Some links will take you to other sites, in a new window.

An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:

Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!

Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($124,838 to go):
$150,000.00 $25,162.05
83% 17%
Sound Off! CatholicCulture.org supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

There are no comments yet for this item.

Fall 2014 Campaign
Subscribe for free
Shop Amazon
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Recent Catholic Commentary

The Church Moves On, Slowly 18 hours ago
Is Cardinal Kasper losing his grip? 22 hours ago
The Pope is not the problem October 23
Do not confuse sacramental discipline and Catholic doctrine. October 23
Ignatius Press into the Breach: Trumping the Kasper Proposal October 22

Top Catholic News

Most Important Stories of the Last 30 Days
Key synod report calls for 'gradualism' in Church response to irregular family situations CWN - October 13
As synod concludes, bishops issue message, approve document; Pope weighs in CWN - October 20
Cardinal Parolin: UN must protect innocents from Islamic State CWN - September 30
Synod of Bishops opens with Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica CWN - October 6