Report: Guardini a favorite author of Pope Francis
March 22, 2013
La Nación, a leading Argentine newspaper, is reporting that “the book that perhaps excites the new Pontiff the most is The Lord, by the famous theologian and historian Romano Guardini.”
Before and during his papacy, Pope Benedict paid tribute to Msgr. Guardini (1885-1968), and an essay by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger devoted to The Lord appears in the current English edition of the book.
Among the other favorite authors of Pope Francis, according to La Nación, are the late Cardinal François-Xavier Nguyen van Thuan, the Vietnamese prelate who was imprisoned for 13 years by the Communist regime; Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini, the late Jesuit archbishop of Milan; and Sister Dolores Aleixandre, a contemporary Spanish nun.
- Qué hay en la biblioteca de Francisco (La Nación)
- The favorite books and spiritual readings of the Pope (Rorate Caeli)
- 40 years after his death, Romano Guardini's influence lives through Pope Benedict (CWN, 10/2/08)
- Pope Benedict’s 2010 address on Guardini (Holy See)
- Cardinal Ratzinger: Guardini on Christ in Our Century (EWTN)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!