Kidnapped Jesuit says future Pope France was blameless in his Argentine detention
Catholic World News - March 21, 2013
One of two Jesuits who were kidnapped and held for 5 months by Argentina’s military regime has issued a new statement making it clear that he does not believe the future Pope Francis was responsible for his incarceration.
“The fact is: Orlando Yorio and I were not denounced by Father Bergoglio,” said Father Francisco Jalics.
At the time of the kidnapping, then-Father Bergoglio was the Jesuit provincial in Argentina. Father Jalics admits that after their release, he and Father Yorio suspected that they had been denounced. But as he learned more about Father Bergoglio’s efforts to secure their freedom, he said, “it became clear to me that this suspicion was unfounded.”
Father Yorio, who is now deceased, has been quoted as saying that Father Bergoglio was responsible for the Jesuits’ long detention. As Father Matthew Lamb has pointed out, that statement was made by Father Yorio “before he was able to learn about what in fact his provincial had done.”
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our February expenses ($6,273 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!