Wiretaps on some Vatican employees in investigation into leaks?
Catholic World News - February 28, 2013
The Vatican press office has denied reports that a “massive” surveillance operation was conducted as part of the investigation into the “Vatileaks” scandal, but left open the possibility that some wiretaps were authorized.
Questioned about a report in Italy’s Panorama magazine about covert surveillance of Vatican employees, Father Federico Lombardi, the director of the Vatican press office, said that the story was unfounded. Another press spokesman, Father Thomas Rosica, said that any wiretapping would have been “a very small process.”
The press spokesmen said that if any wiretapping had been conducted, it would have been authorized by the Vatican magistrates investigating the leaks of confidential papal documents. They assured reporters that the three cardinals who conducted a separate investigation, and reported their findings confidentially to Pope Benedict XVI, would not have authorized such surveillance.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($117,141 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!