We'll receive a $25,000 grant if others match it by Pentecost. $23,363 to go. Your gift will be doubled!
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Boy Scouts may permit homosexual scoutmasters

Catholic World News - January 29, 2013

A spokesman for the Boy Scouts of America has announced that the organization may soon permit local troops to decide whether to allow homosexuals to serve as scoutmasters.

The president of the Southern Baptist Convention expressed his “tremendous dismay at the decision,” and Sister Mary Ann Walsh, spokeswoman for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, said that “the bishops hope the Boy Scouts will continue to work under the Judeo-Christian principles upon which they were founded and under which they have served youth well.”

Additional sources for this story
Some links will take you to other sites, in a new window.

An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:

Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!

Our Spring Challenge Grant
Progress toward our Spring Challenge Grant goal ($23,363 to go):
$25,400.00 $2,037.00
92% 8%
Sound Off! CatholicCulture.org supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

Show 4 Comments? (Hidden)Hide Comments
  • Posted by: unum - Jan. 30, 2013 10:52 AM ET USA

    America has a failed society when 5% of the population alter the values of the country while the other 95% are silent. Homosexual activists have changed our laws and media while the institutions charged with protecting our moral values have silently capitulated and endorsed a homosexual life style. Sadley, the Catholic Church is among them, its bishops silenced by their ordination of homosexuals in the past and the coverups of the illegal activity of some of these priests.

  • Posted by: dad2dlj - Jan. 29, 2013 7:07 PM ET USA

    The Boy Scouts, the Girl Scouts and any other group that serves children should consider limiting adult leadership to those persons who actually have children in the organization. When I was a Scout, all of our leaders were parents of active scouts or of boys who had recently been in the troop. It is not a guarantee against abuses, but certainly reduces the risks.

  • Posted by: - Jan. 29, 2013 6:33 PM ET USA

    Sometimes I wish we looked more like Europe, like recently when a million Frenchmen rallied in Paris in support of traditional marriage. Can you imagine 6 million Americans gathering in DC for the same reason?

  • Posted by: Defender - Jan. 29, 2013 10:32 AM ET USA

    Though a Supreme Court ruling says otherwise, it wasn't enough for a couple of CEOs on the BSA board. The politically correct and the gay groups are changing the U.S. in such a way that it will look like Europe shortly and with it, our Christian heritage.

Matching Campaign
Subscribe for free
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org
Shop Amazon

Recent Catholic Commentary

To-do list for faithful Catholics 5 hours ago
Not Fully Human: Anthony Esolen’s compelling verdict on contemporary human formation 5 hours ago
A silent scandal: Catholic schools promoting morally unacceptable vaccines April 24
A More Militant Church? April 24
How we'll know if the Vatican and the US hierarchy are serious about deposing negligent bishops April 24

Top Catholic News

Most Important Stories of the Last 30 Days
Pope challenges world leaders' silence on persecution of Christians CWN - April 6
Pope outlines plans for the extraordinary jubilee of mercy CWN - April 13
Vatican completes doctrinal assessment of Leadership Conference of Women Religious CWN - April 16
Pope accepts resignation of Bishop Finn CWN - April 21