Beijing will not respond to Pope's call to dialogue, Chinese bishops say
Catholic World News - October 31, 2012
Chinese bishops think it unlikely that government officials there will ever respond to the letter written by Pope Benedict XVI to the Church in China in 2007.
Last week Cardinal Fernando Filoni, the prefect of the Congregation for Evangelization, pointed out that 5 years have passed since the Pope wrote his letter, and the Vatican is still waiting for a reply from Beijing. But such a reply is probably not forthcoming, Chinese bishops told the UCANews service.
One Chinese bishop—who spoke on condition of anonymity, but was described by UCAN as a prelate recognized by both the Holy See and the Chinese government—said that government officials are not motivated to find common ground with the Catholic Church. “They never want to have sincere dialogue,” he said.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our August expenses ($15,070 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!