A flurry of appointments to Roman Curia
June 26, 2012
The Vatican on June 25 announced a series of important appointments to positions on the Roman Curia.
- Archbishop Augustine Di Noia was named to the newly created post of vice-president of the Ecclesia Dei commission. The American prelate has been the secretary of the Congregation for Divine Worship; he will be replaced in that post by Bishop Arthur Roche of Leeds, England—who now becomes an archbishop. [See today’s separate CWN headline story for details on this appointment.]
- Archbishop Jean Louis Brugues was selected to be Vatican archivist and librarian: a position that virtually assures his elevation to the College of Cardinals. Archbishop Brugues, a French Dominican, had been secretary of the Congregation for Catholic Education. His replacement in that position was not named.
- Archbishop Vincenzo Paglio, who has been heading the Italian diocese of Terni-Narni-Amelia, was named president of the Pontifical Council for the Family. He succeeds Cardinal Ennio Antonelli, who is retiring at the age of 75.
- Archbishop Protase Rugambwa, who had led the Tanzanian diocese of Kigoma, became adjunct secretary of the Congregation for Evangelization. He succeeds Archbishop Piergiuseppe Vacchelli, who is also retiring at the age of 75.
- Msgr. Krzystztof Nykiel, an official at the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, was promoted to become regent of the Apostolic Penitentiary. He replaces Bishop Gianfranco Girotti, who has also reached the retirement age of 75.
Traditionally the Pope makes many personnel decisions before leaving Rome for his annual stay at Castel Gandolfo. Pope Benedict XVI is expected to move to the summer apostolic palace next week.
Conspicuously missing from the June 25 announcements was any mention of the top office at the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Vatican insiders have said that Cardinal William Levada, the prefect of the Vatican’s doctrinal office, will retire this month.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!