Dublin archbishop felt alone in confronting sex-abuse scandal
Catholic World News - December 19, 2011
Archbishop Diarmuid Martin of Dublin, who has frequently criticized his fellow Irish bishops for their handling of the sex-abuse scandal, told a television audience that he felt “very much abandoned” during the crisis.
The archbishop said it was natural for Church leaders to “close ranks” in response to a perceived attack. “But we have to get over that,” he told an RTE television audience. He said that in internal discussions about abuse, “there was very little concern for the children.”
Archbishop Martin, who had been serving at the Vatican when he was named in 2003 to become coadjutor in Dublin, said that he did not realize at the time he would be embarking on an experience that he characterized as “that twilight zone.”
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our April expenses ($22,212 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!