Website Review: Audio Sancto: Sermons in plain English on Catholic dogma, doctrine, and devotion
A review based on: http://www.audiosancto.org
Audio Sancto is a website created and maintained by Catholic laymen who record and publish sermons by Catholic priests who celebrate the traditional Tridentine Rite Mass. These priests are in good standing with their local ordinaries and Rome, incardinated with normal faculties and jurisdiction, and serving in North America.
Some of the subjects covered are Christology, Mariology, the Sacraments, Prayer and the Interior Life, the Saints and much more. The homiletic style is much like a classroom lecture with the emphasis in the sermons generally on pre-Vatican II sources and theological manuals, even though these are typically used in a proper way and interpreted properly. There is also a tendency to neatly categorize everything, as if every question is obvious, every motivation clear, and all topics and persons can be divided into the neat categories of the older manuals; and there is a tendency to cite Aquinas almost as if he is the Magisterium.
Review Ratings what do these ratings mean?
First Evaluated: 01/09/2009; Last Updated: 01/11/2014
- Fidelity: Excellent
- Resources: Good
- Useability: Excellent
- Homilies listed by year and by topic Resources
- Homilies can be loaded onto an Ipod and are available on CDs for a nominal fee Resources
- Other: The priests who give the homilies are not identified Example(s)
- Other: Sometimes severe moral judgments are expressed when the situation in question does not need to be interpreted in the worst possible way Example(s)
- Other: There is a tendency to cite the opinions of theologians who are highly esteemed by the Church (such as St. Thomas Aquinas) as if those opinions are definitive, which is an attribute of the Magisterium alone Example(s)
- Resources: The spiritual reading on the site is very limited, and emphasizes older Bibles and the 1962 Missal
Not Yet Categorized
NB: All reviews are current as of the Evaluation or Update Date cited above. If you notice that a review contains information that is no longer accurate, please contact us and we will be happy to amend our review.