Website Review: The Southern Cross Site on which this review was based: http://www.scross.co.za
This is the website of South Africa's National Catholic weekly, sold in churches around the country, and accepted largely by Catholics.
It doesn't take long to discover that this website has many articles that are not faithful to the Magisterium of the Church. It attacks the latest Vatican move to screen priests as "unfair" discrimination against gays, and undermines the Church's teaching on contraception and abortion. It has also heralded Barack Obama as a savior.
The site offers quite a few good articles that uphold the Church's teachings. If you visit, be aware that you must sift carefully through the contents since you may run into some very dissident material.
Review Ratings what do these ratings mean?
First Evaluated: 11/25/2008; Last Updated: 08/25/2013
- Fidelity: Danger!
- Resources: Fair
- Useability: Excellent
- Some good articles that properly uphold the teachings of the Church Resources
- Fidelity: Attacks the Church's document “Guidelines for the Use of Psychology in the Admission and Formation of Candidates for the Priesthood” as discriminatory to gays. Example(s)
- Fidelity: Promotes the "seamless garment" approach to abortion Example(s)
- Fidelity: Dissident position on contraception Example(s)
- Fidelity: Favorable review of Hans Kung's book "My Struggle for Freedom" Example(s)
- Fidelity: Supports the use of condoms to prevent AIDS Example(s)
Catholicism > Catholic Life
Culture > Media
The Southern Cross
(021) 465 5007
(021) 465 3850 (fax)
NB: All reviews are current as of the Evaluation or Update Date cited above. If you notice that a review contains information that is no longer accurate, please contact us and we will be happy to amend our review.