Website Review: Center of Concern Site on which this review was based: http://www.coc.org
The Center of Concern is a social justice organization that claims to be guided by Catholic social teaching. They self-describe their work as “enabling individuals, organizations and coalitions to explore and analyze the global issues and social structures from an ethical perspective based on Catholic Social Teaching and to become involved in strategies and projects that promote the good of the entire global community and the integrity of every individual.” Unfortunately, authentic Catholic social thought is hard to find on this site. Instead, it is dominated by the modern, liberal version of social justice, focusing on food shortages, women’s issues, and contemporary thought on human rights.
The following statement which appears on the "Partners in Faith" page gives an example of the tone of the site:
We believe there is one God with many names and with no name, with unnumbered manifestations and with manifest passion for healing and justice. We believe that faith in God, while intensely personal, must embrace the community needs and social concerns of all peoples, or it falls short of the Real. We believe that together, enriched by each others' revelation, we can contribute effectively to the healing renewal of "our global village."
Review Ratings what do these ratings mean?
First Evaluated: 11/20/2003; Last Updated: 08/25/2013
- Fidelity: Danger!
- Resources: Fair
- Useability: Excellent
- General information on the Center and its projects Resources
- Fidelity: There is a singular lack of the truly Catholic on this site. Example(s)
- Fidelity: The Global Women's Project is permeated with feminism. Example(s)
- Fidelity: The material on the site speaks of the UN conferences on topics such as women and population as if they were morally neutral or even laudable. Example(s)
- Fidelity: The organization openly promotes liberation theology. Example(s)
- Fidelity: The Religious Social Values section seems to treat Catholicism as equal to other religions. Example(s)
- Useability: New "Education for Justice" link requires a monetary subscription in order to access any article.
- Fidelity: List of issues important in election doesn't mention abortion Example(s)
CategoriesIssues > Social Ills
Center of Concern
1225 Otis St NE
Washington, DC 20017
(202) 832-9494 (fax)
NB: All reviews are current as of the Evaluation or Update Date cited above. If you notice that a review contains information that is no longer accurate, please contact us and we will be happy to amend our review.